All content © Robert Williamson

All content © Robert Williamson

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

THE FOOTHILLS OF FERNWOOD

My daughter was the guide on this little outing. She invited us to hike along the foothills above Layton. A place called Fernwood. It is part of the Bonneville shoreline trail that follows the hills along most of the Wasatch Front. It was nice to spend some time with her and to see her excitement for being outdoors. My wife, my son and his girlfriend went with us. My daughter guided us up the small canyon and onto the trail. We then followed it dipping into a couple of narrow canyons with small creeks, cold with snowmelt. I had a sore arch on my right foot and stopped at one of the creeks, took of my boot, and submerged my foot in the cold water until it was numb. It felt so good!

We took our time. We looked up at the peaks and out over the valley. We studied the creek water and spotted deer along the ridges. We talked. We had quiet times of thought and reflection. We found a degree of peace and harmony that we sometimes don't have in our "normal" lives.

We joked, laughed, and enjoyed being out. The trail is easy. My daughter has hiked straight up the mountain in this area, but this hike was leasure. We strolled along the foothills. We talked about coming back and building a fire in the trailhead firepit and making Somores. I could taste the chocolate and dripping marshmallow surrounded by Graham cracker as we discussed it.



My daughter stood on a rock and lifted her arms skyward. She was queen of the hill. She was a great guide.
Shadows were getting long. Evening was approaching. We decided to stay long enough to watch the sun set. From this trail the sun would go down directly behind Fremont Island in the Great Salt Lake. There was just enough cloud cover to splatter the yellow and orange hues across the darkened Island and west desert mountain ranges. When the sun goes down and I'm in the outdoors I can get a little crazy. It was good to be "OUT THERE" with members of my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment