All content © Robert Williamson

All content © Robert Williamson

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Lessons from a Campfire

"We need to build a fire to get warm," a Scout said as he climbed out of his tent at 2:00 AM. We were on an overnight winter camp back in 1993. I told the other leader that it would happen, as we nestled into our sleeping bags that chilly night. "You watch," I said. At about two or three in the morning the Scouts will be cold and will climb out of their sleeping bags and tents and want to build a fire."  Just as I predicted, it was happening.

I also knew that the Scouts would not be able to build a fire and that I would end up out in the cold showing them how. I waited. This was a teaching opportunity and one that I was familiar with. I've watched a lot of Scouts try to build fires. I've watched them on overnight camps as well as week long camps, but the best time to watch and to teach is on winter camps. Cold and sometimes wet conditions have a way of sending a message home. "Does anyone know how to start a fire?" "I'm freezing!" "Where's the matches?" "Here, grab these logs and put them in the fire pit." "I wish we had some gas." I stayed in my tent just a little longer. Th Scouts had to at least try before I came to the rescue.

I dressed and climbed out of my tent. The Scouts turned and begged for help. "Hurry, hurry, they yelled. As I started to gather some wood, I mentioned something about being prepared. I told them that a Scout should be able to start a fire with only two matches. "Take all the logs that you have placed in the fire pit and set them off to the side," I said. "Go look under that tarp and bring me some of the wood," I asked. A couple of Scouts quickly lifted the tarp grabbed some wood and placed it by me. "This wood was split and prepared before we came to camp," I said. "If you notice, it is stacked under the tarp according to size." What we need to do to get a fire going is to start with the smallest pieces and build up as we go. In fact, the pieces need to be so small, I will have to shave off some very small splinters with my knife." I opened my pocket knife and shaved off several small, thin wafers of wood. I then even split these into even smaller pieces. I showed the Scouts how to build a small Tepee with the shavings . I asked them to arrange the other pieces of wood near the fire pit according to size and to be ready to hand them to me when I asked for them.

I took out one stick match and stroked it against one of the rocks lining the fire pit and then gently held it under the small wood Tepee. The small wood shavings started to light and I asked on of the Scouts to hand me some more shavings. I placed these gently on top of the ignited pieces slowly piece by piece as the fire started to catch. Once these pieces where burning well, I asked the Scouts to hand me a few of the larger pieces of wood. Soon we had a decent fire going and the cold Scouts huddled around rubbing there hands and drying there wet socks and shoes on the rocks that lined the fire pit.

As we warmed near the fire and placed larger logs on its flames, I mentioned how building a fire is similar to how we build our lives. We start out with limited knowledge and experience. We learn the basics line upon line, here a little, there a little until we have more knowledge and more ability. As we gain in knowledge and ability, we are able to do more with our lives. I then mentioned that once we have our own fires within us burning and going strong, we should use that knowledge, talent, and ability to help others. Just as this fire provides light and warmth to all of us who surround it, our lives, can provide light and warmth to those around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment