All content © Robert Williamson

All content © Robert Williamson

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Blacksmith Fork River Browns Have Butter-Yellow Bellies

Small water has intrigued me from my youth. I did go through a phase where I wanted to fish the big water for big trout (you know the sophisticated trout of the Henry's Fork), but my real love is the small stuff. Trout in the 10 to 14 inch range are real treasures for me. They are most times skittish, often hungry and willing, and always handsome--and I guess cute and pretty if they are females.
 
 
I was talking today with a gentleman that asked me if I was getting out. I told him that I try to get out when I have a day off from work, and that my wife and me have been using it as a "date." He thought that was funny. I explained to him that as we drive to the destination we get a chance to talk. We get to share in the beauty of the outdoors, and that both of us have always had an affinity for creeks, streams, and rivers. Our outing sometimes involve a lunch or dinner together.
 
I have to admit to some selfishness, however, as I'm the one who is fly fishing. We do talk a little while I'm fishing, and we even hold hands, sometimes, while we walk the trails to and from the water. It really is like a date.
 
My wife has taken on the responsibility of documenting our adventures with a camera--I do have to have evidence that I actually catch fish (even if they are little ones). She likes to have me in the pictures, and I like to have close-ups of the trout. So there is a little mix of both.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment