All content © Robert Williamson

All content © Robert Williamson

Sunday, July 25, 2010

FOOTHILLS

SHE ROCKS!



The foothills of the Wasatch in Utah are hot, dry places of sweat in late July. Salt and water drip from the skin and soak clothing. The urge to rip the stickiness from the skin and run sunburned and naked for the shade plays upon the mind. A constant, moaning voice speaks from inside. It calls out for water. Water to drink and water to splash in. Open-mouth breathing dries the tongue and throat. Lips shrivel and chap. If not prepared the heat will stop you in your tracks, turn you back, or keep you from hiking all together. Stay home.
I have always loved the heat. As a young boy, I ran through hot sagebrush hills. Most days I was a jackrabbit, twisting, turning, stopping on a dime. I could leap over junipers. Some days, I was a hawk. I soared on warm, rising air high over rocky cliffs, then up and out of sight over mountain peaks. I wouldn't come back until I opened my eyes, stood up, and brushed the dirt off my backside.

While laying there in my dreams, I could feel the sun. It tanned my face and arms. It baked me into the earth. I remember staying outside all day, the scorching brightness dehydrating me until my head pounded. Too young, and as I got older, too dumb to take water, I spent hours melting. I would fish for hours, tempted by the clear water to drop to my knees and sip.The only thing stopping me was the threat of giardia. Eventually, with age, I smartened up enough to carry a bottle of water or two.

My wife and I started out on a local foothill trail right in the middle of the afternoon a few days ago. Cicada were whining loudly only stopping when we got close to their hiding place. Yes, I'm talking July in Utah! We were in a searching mood. We planned to explore the first part of the trail to test its difficulty. After a mile of hiking, we decided that the trail was not as difficult as we suspected. We had sucked down our water bottles (see wisdom with age) and talked about plans to do the complete trail on another day, either early or late to avoid the heat (see more wisdom with age). This particular trail takes about 4 hours one way. Most people who hike the trail will leave a car at one end and then drive to the other end, make the hike, and then drive back to the trail head for the other car. We decided that's what we will do.

From the top of the trail we will be able to see most of Ogden and surrounding towns. Someone told me that from the top, we will be able to see all the way to Nevada. I'm excited to return. I think I'll run up the foothills, twisting, turning and stopping on a dime. When I get to the top, I'll rise on a thermal wind, up over the cliffs and then soar out over the peak.




No comments:

Post a Comment