All content © Robert Williamson

All content © Robert Williamson

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Training and Fitness

I was a runt. As a sophomore in high school, I was 5 foot 3 inches and weighed a whopping 89 lbs. Little tiny guy. I started to grow but weight didn't keep up with length. By the time I was in my early twenties I had stretched out to 6 foot 2 inches but was skinny, like 130 lbs skinny. I thought I ate a lot and mom would warn me to be careful because as you get older you will gain weight. I didn't believe her. I was active. I played a lot of basketball, golf (walking the courses, not riding carts), and I meandered up rivers and streams all day without eating. Weight wasn't a problem. Those who knew me said I could use a few pounds.

Well, mom was right (don't you hate that--moms are always right). I started to put weight on at age 30, but like people had told me, I could use a little. At 40 more of it came. I had given up playing competitive basketball and only golf a few times a year. I was a fly fishing nut and that is where I concentrated my efforts. But fly fishing doesn't really get the heart rate going--except, the anticipation of going and hooking a nice trout. Other than that, fly fishing wasn't burning the calories.

A few years back, I took up running and mountain biking. My highest weight was 206 lbs (still not bad but more than I wanted). I worked down to about 180 lbs a few years back and was able to maintain that for some time. This year I wanted to get down to 175 lbs and stay there. I rode my bike and ran more. Before I knew it I was down to 164 lbs--maybe a little too skinny again? I have felt good. I am able to run 11 miles fairly easy and 3 to 5 mile runs are very easy. I guess in a way I'm bragging. I just feel good for a 52 year old man.

My beautiful wife decided to get into the fitness act too.  She has always played soccer so it's not like she wasn't fit. I am so proud of her. She has been working out, stretching, and watching her diet too. Today, she announced to me that she has lost 30 lbs! She looks (and feels) wonderful. I remember telling her when we first got married that I loved her for who she was and not necessarily how she looks (although looks are important to us guys--don't deny it). I told her that I would love her even if she struggled with weight. I still believe that. But, I do have to brag, she looks fit! Hopefully, for both of us, the training and fitness will pay dividends of strong hearts and lungs and add a few years to our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment