All content © Robert Williamson

All content © Robert Williamson

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Back in the Saddle

I just got back from the first bike ride of 2011. It felt so good. The wind was a bit chill, but it was soon forgotten as my body warmed to the tempo of pedaling. Did I say it felt good? I could feel my leg muscles working; different muscles than those I feel when running. On the hills, I stood on the pedals and felt the power of putting extra weight on the down stroke of the motion. I could feel my heart rate picking up, and sweat starting to build on my back between the shoulder blades. In my mind, I could imagine the extra fifteen pounds I put on this winter start to leap from my body and float away with the wind. I pedaled harder and turned a corner making sure the weight could not follow. The first ride always makes me feel like a kid again. It makes me feel like a dancer. I sometimes rock back and forth letting my mind and body feel the motion.

I didn't want to overdue it. It was a pleasure ride more than a workout. I looked around. High slate clouds covered the sky. I looked to the east and saw a panoramic view of the Wasatch Mountains. They stand majestic above the valley floor, snow-covered and uninviting to those who are wishing for summer. Still, a nice sight. I noticed that the willow trees in many neighborhood yards have a tinge of green with the first leaf buds starting to test for warmth of springtime air.

I thought of my favorite mountain bike trails, still buried beneath feet of snow. It will be a couple of months before I can ride them. I will be ready.

The bike is parked in my backyard right now. I know I will have the urge to get on it again before the sunsets on this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment